Here's my Pazz & Jop ballot. My opinion is that the year doesn't actually end until December 31st, so that's when I'll start posting expanded lists, possibly with the order changed at the top. The two near misses on my albums list, by the way, were Demi Lovato and Keri Hilson; having four ace songs and lots of personality wasn't quite enough to get Demi in, and having eight ace songs and no personality wasn't enough to get Keri in (though if I'd decided to count "I Like" as part of the album - Wiki claims that it's getting added to In A Perfect World... - that might have pushed it over).
Unless Demi Lovato undergoes an artistic collapse she's going to end up mattering to me far more than Brad Paisley and Martina McBride put together. What got Brad in just ahead of her this year was that he's got a better band. Demi's rock is louder than Brad's and signifies "rock" more, but her rhythm section bashes the beats while Brad's actually rocks 'em, with more of a roll, more bounce, more dance.
1. Shystie ft. DJ Deekline "New Style" (Rat)
2. The Black Eyed Peas "Boom Boom Pow" (Interscope)
3. Love And Theft "Runaway" (Lyric Street)
4. MC Lars ft. Brett Anderson & Gabe Saporta "Hey There Ophelia" (Horris Records/Oglio)
5. Timberlee ft. Tosh "Heels"
6. The Lonely Island "I'm On A Boat" (Republic/Universal)
7. Das Racist "Combination Pizza Hut And Taco Bell (Wallpaper Remix)" (no label)
8. Rich Boy "Drop" (Interscope)
9. Girls Aloud "Untouchable" (Fascination)
10. Röyksopp ft. Robyn "The Girl And The Robot" (Wall Of Sound)
1. Taylor Swift Fearless (Platinum Edition) (Big Machine) 18 points
2. The-Dream Love Vs. Money (Radio Killa/Def Jam) 17 points
3. Ashley Monroe Satisfied (Columbia Nashville) 15 points
4. Rihanna Rated R (Def Jam) 10 points
5. Scooter Under the Radar Over the Top (The Dark Side Edition) (Sheffield Tunes) - 10 points
6. Lily Allen It's Not Me, It's You (Capitol) 7 points
7. Martina McBride Shine (RCA) 6 points
8. Electrik Red How To Be A Lady: Volume 1 (Radio Killa/Def Jam) 6 points
9. K'naan Troubadour (A&M/Octone) 6 points
10. Brad Paisley American Saturday Night (Arista Nashville) 5 points
( my commentsCollapse )